Education and Training
The Program in Human Sexuality (PHS) provides education in human sexuality in the Department of Family Medicine and Community Health, the Medical School, the University of Minnesota, and the wider community.
Our goals are to:
- Prepare physicians to provide primary care for sexual concerns of patients through undergraduate and graduate medical education
- Develop and implement a human sexuality curriculum for residents
- Provide training and experience in the therapy of sexual concerns, research, and community health promotion
- Provide continuing education to health professionals in treating sexual concerns, research, and community health promotion
- Promote knowledge, comfort, and awareness of human sexuality through Sexual Attitude Reassessment seminars
- Provide expert opinion and scientific information on human sexuality and sexual health concerns of the community
- Assist in the undergraduate, graduate, and continuing education mission of the Department of Family Medicine and Community Health
We offer educational opportunties through
Elders is working with the Progam in Human Sexuality to increase the number of health care providers trained in sexual health care, to create a life-long comprehensive sexual education curriculum, and to expand research in sexual science.
The Program in Human Sexuality joined Exposed Brick Theatre to create the new play based on the stories, experiences, and perspectives of transgender and gender non-conforming youth. The aims of the project titled Trans/formation: Addressing Gender Issues in School are to validate transgender and gender non-conforming youth experiences through performance, to educate peers, parents, families, friends, and educators about the experiences of transgender and gender non-conforming youth, and to encourage dialogues around gender issues, advocacy, and ally support for adolescents.