Human Sexuality Fellowship
The Human Sexuality Fellowship at the University of Minnesota provides two years of training in sex and gender-related therapy and research. The general fellowship prepares fellows to provide sex and gender therapy for a wide variety of individuals oftentimes with co-morbid psychiatric diagnoses. The fellowship meets the post-doctoral supervision licensure requirements for psychologists in Minnesota and in most states. In addition, the clinical experience and supervision meets requirements for accreditation as a sex therapist by the American Association for Sex Educators, Counselors and Therapists (AASECT). In addition, the fellowship provides training in sexual education and research.
The goals of this fellowship program are to:
- Provide 26 hours per week of direct individual, family, or group therapy depending upon the specific human sexuality fellowship and the amount of time that can be devoted to research
- Work effectively in an inter-professional team (faculty psychologists, psychiatry physician assistant, nurse practitioner, family physician, support staff)
- Provide education to medical students, family medicine residents on topics such as sex history taking, basic counseling skills for sexual concerns and problems.
- Engage in scholarly activity (10% of your time) that advances the field of sexual therapy and research
Alex Kovic, PsyD provides individual, family, couples, and group psychotherapy at the Program in Human Sexuality, where he specializes in gender diversity and sexual orientation issues, relationship and sexual problems, and sexual compulsivity.
Alex Tatum, PhD is a postdoctoral fellow with research and clinical interests in LGBTQ mental health, minority stress, compulsive sexual behavior, romantic relationship concerns, and substance use/abuse.
- Academic Courses
- Human Sexuality Fellowship
- Doug Braun-Harvey Fellowship in Compulsive Sexual Behavior
- Michael E. Metz Fellowship in Couples' Sexual Health
- Randi and Fred Ettner Fellowship in Transgender Health
- Clinical Supervision, Didactics, and Evaluation
- Where We Practice
- Our Faculty
- Contact Us
- Fellowship Alumni
- Human Sexuality Certificate
- Online Learning
- Residency Education
- Summit on Medical School Education in Sexual Health
- UMN Medical Student Education