Gender Affirmative Lifespan Approach (GALA™)
Clinically, the Center has developed a set of innovative practices tailored specifically to address issues across the entire lifespan; children, adolescents, young adults, adults and older adults, known as the ‘Gender Affirmative Lifespan Approach’ (GALA™). Based in theory and research showing stigma and discrimination contribute to negative health outcomes for transgender and gender diverse people, GALA™ is aimed at countering the internalization of this stigma and improving mental health outcomes by:
- Gender Literacy: Learning strategies for identifying societal gender “rules” and discerning one’s own beliefs and values.
- Resiliency: Cultivating adaptive strategies and supportive networks to resist gender-based stigma and discrimination.
- Beyond the Binary: Recognizing and embracing all possibilities of gender identity, expression, and experience.
- Pleasure Oriented Positive Sexuality (POPS): Advocating for pleasure-oriented sexuality through sex-positive, gender-affirming scholarship and resources.
- Connections to Medical Care: Support in accessing competent, affirming care while acknowledging past and present gender-based stigma in medical systems.