Gender Affirmative Lifespan Approach (GALA™)
Clinically, the Center has developed a set of innovative practices tailored specifically to address issues across the entire lifespan; children, adolescents, young adults, adults and older adults, known as the ‘Gender Affirmative Lifespan Approach’ (GALA™). Based in theory and research showing stigma and discrimination contribute to negative health outcomes for transgender and gender diverse people, GALA™ is aimed at countering the internalization of this stigma and improving mental health outcomes by:
- Gender Literacy: Learning strategies for decoding societal gender “rules” and sorting out one’s own beliefs and values.
- Resiliency: Building coping skills and supportive networks to navigate gender-based stigma and discrimination.
- Beyond the Binary: Embracing the spectrum of gender identity, expression, and experience.
- Pleasure Oriented Positive Sexuality (POPS): Developing pleasure-based sexuality through sex-positive, gender-affirming scholarship and resources.
- Connections to Medical Care: Navigating medical systems to access competent, quality care.