Transgender Health

This is not meant to be a comprehensive list of all resources, but instead is a compilation of common referrals and known resources in our community. If you are aware of a resource, or have feedback about any of the resources listed please contact

This list was primarily compiled by:
Nicole Cairns
Sarah Wiljamaa





For hormone injection assistance (Shot Clinic), please visit the Minnesota Transgender Health Coalition.
Family Tree Clinic (Transgender specific clinic)
Program in Human Sexuality (Transgender specific clinic)
Park Nicollet Gender Services (Transgender specific clinic)
Hennepin County Medical Center (Transgender specific clinic)


Trans Health Websites

For information on health and fitness for transgender people please visit Trans Health’s website.

For community education resources and online learning about transgender health please visit UCSF’s Center of Excellence for Transgender Health.

Mental Wellness

Mental Wellness


Find a therapist: LGBTA Mental Health Providers Network. You can search this directory based on the populations the therapists serve, and the therapist’s gender identity and sexual identity, and the insurances they accept.

To learn more about mental health providers’ roles in transition related care please see the Standards of Care section.

Transgender Specific Mental Health Providers

Reclaim! Speciality: Teens and young adults
Xavier Schmitz at Lyn-Lake Psychotherapy & Wellness Speciality: Teens and adults
Ryan Dean Speciality: Teens and adults
Zach White Speciality: Adults
Kerry Edna McDonald Speciality: Youth and families
Emma Moonier Speciality: Teens and young adults

Transgender Therapy Groups

The group therapy available at PHS is intended to offer a blend of support and interpersonal process therapy. Transgender therapy groups support a spectrum of gender identities and provide opportunities to learn from the experiences of other members, build social support, gain support in progressing on identified therapy goals. Facilitated by two therapists, the groups meet twice a month for two hours and are closed groups (meaning the same members come to each session). Group members are expected to come to every group session and to make at least a three month commitment to group. Open support groups are available in the community. Patients often use an outside support group while using individual therapy or medical services at PHS.

Other groups in Minnesota:

TransForming Families
Minnesota Transgender Health Coalition
Living Table United Church of Christ (T.A.G.)
City of Lakes Crossgender Community
Local PFLAG Chapters

Health Insurance

Health Insurance

If you currently have health insurance in the state of Minnesota and need assistance understanding your benefits or support for an insurance claim process, the following resources may be helpful:

  • Phil Duran, Director of Advocacy, Research and Education at JustUs Health612-341-2060
  • Katie Spencer, PhD, Assistant Professor and Coordinator of the Transgender Health Services at PHS: 612-625-1500 
  • Family Tree Clinic: 651-645-0478

For a broad overview of the current state of health insurance for transgender folks in Minnesota, click here.

For a general guide to navigating transition-related health care with insurance, please see Lambda Legal’s toolkit.

For a guide to finding health insurance for transgender-related healthcare please visit this page.

For many, work is essential for affording health care coverage. For a list of some businesses with transgender-inclusive health insurance benefits please visit the Human Rights Campaign.



Your housing rights: National Lawyer's Guild of Minnesota

Housing Resource

  • Sober Housing: Pride Institute, 1-800-547-7433 or 612-825-8714
  • Sober Housing: Pride Partial Hospitalization Program with Lodging, 952-934-7554
    • Offers residential treatment program and partial hospitalization program with housing for LGBT individuals.
  • Sober housing: Latitudes LGBT Drug and Alcohol Residential Treatment Program, 1-877-367-1715
  • Sober housing: Recovery in Action
    • Recovery in Action Sober Housing operates two sober houses in Minneapolis, Minnesota: Grand House and Park Avenue House. They cater to the LGBT recovering community. Park House Manager (Virginia): 612-669-0940. Grand House Manager (Bianca): 646-812-2170.
  • Sober housing: Seventh Landing Apartments 651-291-3842
  • Aeon: Aeon is a responsive nonprofit developer, owner and manager of high-quality affordable apartments and townhomes which serve more than 4,300 people annually in the Twin Cities area. 612-341-3148

Housing Resource, specific to youth

  • Youth Housing: The Bridge for Youth, 612-377-8800
    • Offers two options for transgender youth (ages 10-17). An emergency shelter and a transitional housing program. Emergency shelter offers a limited stay until individual can be reunited with family. Transitional program works with youth reaching 18 years of age and offers counseling and treatment plans inclusive of stable housing. Two beds within the facility are reserved for transgender youth. Each bed is a single bed with a private bathroom.
  • Youth Housing: GLBT Host Home Program, Contact Rocki Simões: 612-968-8771
    • The GLBT Host Home Program provides transitional living arrangements for 10 homeless gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender youth and young adults ages 16 to 21 in safe, supportive, volunteer host homes. Founded in 1998, this community-based program is coordinated by Avenues, but supported by a vast array of individuals and other youth-serving agencies. The host homes receive training and ongoing support from Avenues, while the youth receive case management by the referring agencies.
  • Youth Housing: The Link, 612-871-0748



Know Your Rights!


In the state of Minnesota it is illegal for someone to discriminate against you based on your gender identity in the following areas:

  • Employment (including labor union membership)
  • Housing
  • Public accommodations (like theaters or restaurants)
  • Public services (services provided by the government)
  • Education, including private, secular schools
  • Credit
  • Business contracting

This is based on the Minnesota Human Rights Act.

However, there are some exceptions where gender identity discrimination is still legal including:

  • Youth-serving agencies
  • Duplex rentals
  • Religious institutions (applies to education, employment, housing, use of facilities, but not “secular business activities” unrelated to the institution’s educational or religious purpose)

If you believe you have experience discrimination in any of these areas, you can call the Minnesota Department of Human Rights at 651-296-5663 or 800-657-3704.

Under certain circumstances, transgender workers may also file a claim of discrimination under federal law, known as Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. More information is available from the US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

For more information about your rights in the state of Minnesota please visit OutFront MN.

For more information about your rights on a national scale please visit the National Center for Transgender Equality.

For legal advice and referrals you can contact:

Name and Gender Change

To learn more about changing your

For Minnesotans born out of state, please refer to the National Center for Transgender Equality's ID Documents Center to learn how to change your birth certificate in your state.


Recognition of trans marriages has been an ongoing issue in the state of Minnesota. A federal court has ruled that a trans woman, who transitioned and amended her birth record to reflect her correct sex, and subsequently married a man had a valid, different-sex marriage under Minnesota law. Similarly, the Minnesota Department of Human Services has concluded that where a different-sex couple married, and afterward, one spouse transitioned, the marriage remained intact.

Due to Minnesota’s same-sex marriage law passed May 14, 2013 (which went into effect August 1, 2013) “same-sex” couples are able to be married in the state of Minnesota. Which means regardless of your gender, or the gender the state recognizes, you are able to get married in the state of Minnesota. However, same-sex couples marriages’ were not upheld in states without marriage equality.

The marriage equality Supreme Court Decision (Obergefell v. Hodges) on June 26, 2015 struck down all remaining states laws limiting the right to marry based on gender. This means whatever your gender, and regardless of whether state officials recognize your gender, this should not affect your ability to marry. This is a major victory that will benefit many families. However, there are still many barriers to the recognition of parent-child relationships and other types of family relationships.

To learn more about your marriage rights please visit the following websites: National Center for Transgender Equality and Lambda Legal.


Barriers to recognition of parent-child relationships and other types of family relationships continues to be an issue for trans people across the United States.

For information about issues transgender parents face during custody and visitations disputes, as well as advice and resources to protect yourself against challenge to your parental rights, please see Lambda Legal’s Transgender Parents Legal Guide.

For more a more expansive road map to navigating the family court system as a transgender individual, please take a look at the book Transgender Family Law.

For additional resources please visit PFLAG (Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays), their local Twin Cities chapter, or Family Equity Coucil Midwest Office (previously Rainbow Families).

College Students

You deserve to receive an education free from harassment, discrimination and violence.

Survivors of Violence

Violence motivated by a victim’s actual or perceived gender, sexual orientation, or gender identity is a hate crime in the United States. Unfortunately, this violence has been part of the lives of many transgender and gender nonconforming people throughout the US. The federal Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) supports help for all survivors of intimate partner violence, domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking. Since 2013 it is prohibited for any program funded by VAWA to discriminate based on sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. This means that you have the right to access help as a survivor regardless of your gender, transgender status or gender expression.

For other resources for survivors of violence please visit the following websites:


Transgender and gender non-conforming youth face serious legal obstacles and may endure discrimination at school, in foster care, with health care, and in juvenile justice systems


For help with other transgender legal issues please visit the following sites: